Back to Advanced Races
Deep in the swamps of Traykon, the trolls have grown strong. Valislad drove these creatures into hiding in the arctic north and the inaccessible swamp regions uninhabited by men. Due to their isolation and self dependence, they have become a force in the world. Trolls are tribal and whole tribes have been known to move into a humanoid city and take up residence. The local population doesn't like their brutish neighbors but normally do not want to risk a large battle to run them out. For their own part, trolls normally try to live obeying the laws of a particular area. Often, the authorities try and persecute the trolls making them react in ways that gives them no choice but to leave the area.
Sometimes noblemen will allow tribes to move into their domain on the condition that the trolls add to the noblemen's army. These fierce fighters are deadly guards and a squad of armored trolls can strike fear into even the most battle hardened unit. Trolls have developed a deep sense of duty and therefore make wonderful soldiers.
Rumors abound of troll cities hidden deep in the uninhabited regions of the world. The wealth of these cities is a matter of legend but none have ever visited one and lived to tell the tale. Trolls will neither confirm nor deny these rumors and often will just ignore questions about their ancestral homes. Trolls have been known to leave their tribes and strike out on their own. These trolls often find their way in the world as mercenaries or special guards for a wealthy merchant.
There is a subset of trolls living in the Kalou Swamp that have evolved beyond their primal ways. The Kalou Trolls have subjugated their primal nature to gain extra respect and influence with other races of Traykon. The spiritual leaders of the Kalou Trolls claim that their entire race was smitten with a divine curse in ages long forgotten. Only those with strong will can escape the mindlessly violent monsters the curse has created.
- +6 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha
- Normal Speed: Kalou Trolls have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Giant Subtype: For all effects related to race, a Kalou Troll is considered a Giant.
- Low-light Vision: Trolls can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Darkvision: Kalou Trolls can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Scent: Trolls have an almost supernatural scent ability. They can track prey by scent whenever applicable and gain a +4 bonus to Perception checks when scent could be a factor. Trolls also suffer a -2 penalty to any save due to smells.
- Unarmed Attacks: A troll can strike with its powerful claws as an unarmed strike without provoking an attack of opportunity.
- Thick Hide: Kalou Trolls gain a +3 Natural Armor bonus due to their thick hide.
- Regeneration: A troll automatically heals 1 points of damage a round as long as they have at least 1 hit point remaining. Trolls are unable to heal damage caused by fire or acid. If a limb is severed, the troll can take one round to hold the limb in place and it reattaches itself.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of the Kalou Troll let's him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. The Kalou Trolls suffer a -1 to their AC and -1 Attack Penalty. They are considered Large creatures for CBM and CBD as well as for any abilities that rely on a creature's size for effectiveness. A troll can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a medium creature.
- Racial Curse: Kalou trolls all start play with the Cursed Lineage racial trait. They can only select a single additional trait.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Giant
- Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, and Orc
Kalou Trolls mature much like dwarves in their age progression. Due to their powerful build, they normally weigh between 300 and 400 lbs while standing just over 6 feet tall.
Cursed Lineage: Your race is subjected to a powerful divine curse. The taint of the divine curse can be detected via the spell detect curse. When detect magic is used on you a very faint necromantic aura permeates your body. No mortal magic can remove or interfere with the racial curse. Consequently, you have an effective Spell Resistance of 10 + half your character level whenever you are the target of any curse or curse effect coming from any entity lesser than a divine spellcaster.
Kalou trolls can surrender to the curse or be overwhelmed by their heritage. This de-evolution is treated as Primal Troll levels. When the troll character is prepared to advance in their chosen class, they can instead advance in a level of Primal Troll. These levels are normal multi-class levels for all purposes. Below is the information on Primal Troll levels.
Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills: The primal troll’s class skills are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Improved Scent, Natural Attacks (1d4), Regeneration (2), Rend, Thick Hide (+4)|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+0||Primal Growth, Regeneration (3), Thick Hide (+5)|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+1||Greater Scent, Natural Attacks (1d6), Regeneration (3), Thick Hide (+6)|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+1||Regeneration (4), Thick Hide (+7)|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+1||Blood Rage, Natural Attacks (1d8), Racial Curse, Regeneration (5), Savage Growth, Thick Hide (+8)|
Improved Scent (Ex): Trolls have an almost supernatural scent ability. They can track prey by scent whenever applicable and gain a +6 bonus to Perception checks when scent could be a factor. Trolls also suffer a -3 penalty to any save due to smells. They can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.
Natural Attacks (Ex): A troll can strike with its powerful claws for 1d4 (plus strength modifier) damage as well as bite for 1d4 (plus 1/2 strength modifier) damage. The damage increases to 1d6 at 3rd level and 1d8 at 5th level.
Rend: A troll who hits with two claw attacks in one round, their claws do an extra 2d4 (plus 1 1/2 strength modifier) damage as it rends the flesh. The damage increases to 1d6 at 3rd level and 1d8 at 5th level.
Regeneration: For every level of Primal Troll gained, the Troll's regeneration improves by +1 to a total of 5 (acid or fire).
Thick Hide: For every level of Primal Troll a Kalou troll gains, they gain an additional +1 to their Natural Armor.
Primal Growth (Ex): The Troll undergoes a physical transformation, becoming larger and more powerful while also losing a portion of their mind to savage instincts. Over a three day period , the Kalou troll suffers growth pains as their limbs enlarge. They grow taller as their limbs elongate but their torso and abdominal area tends to shrink as mass is redistributed to the rest of their body. During this time they also suffer from a nearly supernatural hunger driving them to eat up to three times their own body weight. After the transformation is complete, they are considered fatigued for a week while their bodies adjust.
Kalou trolls lose the Powerful Build ability and become Large creatures suffering the associate penalties and benefits including an enhanced reach and space they occupy. They gain +2 Strength and +6 Constitution but suffer a -2 to their Wisdom. Their height increases to near 10 feet and after recovery they can weigh as much as 600 lbs.
Greater Scent (Ex): Trolls have an almost supernatural scent ability. They can track prey by scent whenever applicable and gain a +10 bonus to Perception checks when scent could be a factor. Trolls also suffer a -4 penalty to any save due to smells.
Blood Rage: When the character takes damage in combat, on its next turn it flies into a rage as a free action. It gains +2 Constitution and +2 Strength, but takes a –2 penalty to its AC. The rage lasts as long as the battle or 1 minute, whichever is shorter. It cannot end its rage voluntarily.
Racial Curse (Su): Kalou Trolls who gain 5 levels in Primal Troll have given themselves over completely to the ancient curse that consumes their race. The characters lose the ability to advance with class levels and instead must use the monstrous creature progression. Due to their previous resistance to the curse, they are now consumed by a overwhelming desire to destroy.
Savage Growth (Ex): Undergoing a process like that of Primal Growth, the troll transforms into a massive machine of destruction. They gain a +4 to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. The primal drives that overwhelm their mind causes them to suffer a -2 to their Intelligence and Wisdom scores. Their height increases to near 14 feet and after recovery they can weigh as much as 1000 lbs.